Minolta MC Rokkor HH 35mm 1:1.8 vs MC Rokkor HG 35mm 1:2.8 vs MD 35mm 1:1.8 – comparison
Minolta SR 35mm lenses comparison:
- Minolta MC Rokkor HH 35mm 1:1.8 (MC II) aka Minolta MC W.Rokkor HH 35mm f/1.8
- Minolta MC Rokkor HG 35mm 1:2.8 (MC II) aka Minolta MC W.Rokkor HG 35mm f/2.8
- Minolta MD 35mm 1:1.8 (MD III) aka Minolta New-MD 35mm f/1.8
A very important test for me personally, and I think for many other photographers – 35mm focal distance is an over-demanded and a good understanding of “who’s the best” can help to make a correct choice of a lens.
This comparison is correct only for conditions and equipment used for tests. Test results may differ if any element is changed
Tested lenses reviews
|MC 35mm F/1.8
||MC 35mm F/2.8
||MD 35mm F/1.8
|Optical Condition:||Good||Good||Very Good|
|Mechanical Condition:||Good||Good||Very good|
Note: “Average” cosmetic condition just means that lenses have many signs of use but nothing serious, all three looks like used tools with an own history of each.
Minolta SR 35mm lenses comparison – sharpness/resolution
Long-distance test description
- Camera Sony A7II (24mpx, full frame) – RAW (ARW), tripod, A-mode, ISO 100, WB fixed, SteadyShot OFF, manual focus correction for every shot
- Targets (buildings) – fixed by gravity power on the distances in more than 200 meters
- ARW post-processing – Capture One, default settings, 100% crops 300×200 px
Minolta MC W.Rokkor HH 35mm f/1.8 vs Minolta MC W.Rokkor HG 35mm f/2.8
Minolta New-MD 35mm f/1.8 vs Minolta MC W.Rokkor HG 35mm f/2.8
A dedicated Minolta MC II 35mm 1:1.8 vs Minolta MD III 35mm 1:1.8 comparison
I’ve repeated the test of this pair a few times because of importance and here are one of the other tries
Minolta SR 35mm lenses comparison – final conclusion
Minolta MC W.Rokkor HG 35mm 1:2.8
- can’t fight versus another two monsters. It’s a good lens but can give sharpness over the frame on F8+, it means so – nothing special. Nevertheless, I think that this lens can be used in some cases but sharpness isn’t a reason to acquire it.
Minolta MC W.Rokkor HH 35mm 1:1.8
- very close by IQ to the latest MD III reincarnation. The same centers and middles positions and a little loose in corners. Not really bad but still noticeable and continuous up to F2.8+. Nevertheless, I think that this is one of the best lenses in the MC II generation.
Minolta MD 35mm1:1.8
- is the winner in this group and got the second-place among any other Minolta 35mm focal distance lenses.